Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Am I right in thinking that brisk walking is just as good for

Customer Question

Am I right in thinking that brisk walking is just as good for your health as going to the gym? I would prefer not to renew my gym membership (where I exercise exclusively on the cross-country machine) and instead sign up for yoga lessons. I am 58, recovered from bowel cancer (colorectal excision of Dukes A tumour 6 months ago and stoma reversal operation 3 months ago) but otherwise thin and in good health.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.You will need to walk more than what you usually do in the gym (on the treadmill). So, a half an hour dedicated walk in the park should substitute for the power walk session on the treadmill of 15 minutes. So, if it was just cardio that you were doing, you can continue it outside the gym as well. If you were lifting weights, you can arrange for that to be done at home. Any physical activity that stretches the muscles and elevates the heart rate and respiratory rate is beneficial and healthy.Keep up the healthy living.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.