Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Am I right to think that brisk walking is just as good as the

Am I right to think that brisk walking is just as good as the gym sessions for me? At the gym, I have only used the cross-skier machine. My plan is to combine walking with ?yoga sessions as an alternative to the gym.
I am 58 and have had bowel cancer last year: Dukes A, colorectal surgery in September and stoma reversal on December 19. I am ready to become fully active again. Can I give up the gym not just because of bowel history, but for my health in general? In case this is relevant, I also had a double mastectomy over 2 years for DCIS in situ. That was about 15 years ago. Apart from that I am thin, move rapidly and walk in London streets as part of my daily life. I enjoy walking in the country whenever possible. I would take up walking in the London parks as an extra alternative to the gym.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.You will need to walk more than what you usually do in the gym (on the treadmill). So, a half an hour dedicated walk in the park should substitute for the power walk session on the treadmill of 15 minutes.So, if it was just cardio that you were doing, you can continue it outside the gym as well. If you were lifting weights, you can arrange for that to be done at home.Any physical activity that stretches the muscles and elevates the heart rate and respiratory rate is beneficial and healthy.Keep up the healthy living.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best.