DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Approximately four years ago my mother began to suffer lethargy,

Approximately four years ago my mother began to suffer lethargy, apathy, urine retention, frequency and burning (she feels she needs to urinate more often than not but cannot always go and she can only urinate standing now), constipation, wind, severe intermittent back ache, stomach cramps and lack of appetite. The latter resulted in a three and half stone weight loss within approximately six weeks.
Extensive investigations were made: - various scans, tests, procedures and examinations have been performed.
Breast cancer was identified and is being treated with hormone therapy.
Bilateral ovarian cysts have been identified, the largest is 53x29x34mm.
On 4th December 2014 her CA125 was 89 but dropped to 42 ku/L.
Apart from the cysts, no explanation for her symptoms have been found and her symptoms are ongoing.
Can you please advise if the ovarian cysts could be causing her symptoms, is there is a high possibility of the growths being malignant and would you consider an anaesthetic assessment, with a view to possible surgery, the appropriate next course of action?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.One ovarian cyst is big more than 30 mm which raises the possibility of malignancy. Also CA 125 is till elevated although dropped. A biopsy or surgical exploration should be planned. Hence next step should be referral to a gynecological oncologist. Yes her symptoms can be related to the ovarian cyst. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.In fact, any suspicious cyst, as in this case, dictates removal of the ovaries.One would not do a biopsy or surgical exploration.She would get ovarian removal at this point, standard of care. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.