Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I'm 22 years old, and I am struggling with my periods.

I'm 22 years old, and I am struggling with my periods. At the minute I'm coming back on my period less a week after finishing my period. It's happened twice to me now, once near Christmas and now again. I'm normally medium flow, but when I come on early again I find that I'm bleeding fairly heavy. I'm not getting the period pains or any of the normal PMT with them. They just turn up, is this something I should be concerned with?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything?Have you recently had any blood tests?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to my GP for some blood tests nearly 2 weeks ago, and no I'm not on any medication.
I have never had this before I just wondered if it's something I was doing which was causing it or whether I needed to seek medical advice for itThanks
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your additional information.Change in the flow and frequency of periods most commonly happens due to hormonal changes in the body.This very commonly happens due to either physical or emotional stress among other causes like low or high thyroid hormones.If you have recently been in a lot of stress or have been exerting a lot physically recently then that may be the likely cause of your symptoms.Since your blood tests were normal just recently I would not worry too much.If you have not had your thyroid levels checked I would strongly recommend that you should have those done.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, I am currently going through some problems with employment and have a holiday coming up. So I myself was thinking it was stress, but I just wanted to check. My blood tests were normal so that was a good thing I guess.And of course I will rate youThank you very much
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.If you ever have more questions do let me know.I am here daily.Kindest regards