Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I got an industrial piercing in my left ear around a month

I got an industrial piercing in my left ear around a month ago. It became infected a couple of days after and I have had it drained and been given antibiotics. However I was referred back to the hospital but the doctor said that there was nothing to drain and that is was just swollen, but it has been oozing and it dosent seem to be getting any better. The redness is all over my ear and I am beginning to have a headache on that side and pains in my neck?.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a chance it could spread to my brain? I have had the infection for quite a while now?
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.It is very rare for the infection to spread to brain. The symptoms would be - high grade fever, weakness at some part of the body, seizures. In your case I see the infection not responding to prescribed antibiotics. It may take 3 to 5 days of antibiotics to show up the results. If even after these days there is no change in symptom than I would change the antibiotic and may think of getting a CT scan to look for severity of the infection spread if any.Best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been on 5 types of antibiotics with no improvement. but it was only a couple of days ago the doctor told me it will take a while to heal up but it is still oozing.
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
Oozing for a month now worries me. I would get a CT scan to look for spread of infection/ collection or an abscess.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the doctor cut my ear to drain in but said there was nothing in it but it was oozing that day... this is whay I am struggerling to understand.
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
Oozing does not always mean that there is collection inside or there is an abscess. It may also occur with inflammation alone {not infection} or increased blood flow to the area due to inflammation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thankyou. would you advise I finish the last 3 days of the antibiotics(clarithramicin) that I have been prescribed for a week or go back due to not seeing an improvement? This is my last question.
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.
Yes, complete the last three days of antibiotics and than visit your doctor. Best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou for your help.