Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

If anybody can help me with this I would so kindly

If anybody can help me with this I would so kindly appreciate the help. Basically it all started last mid-November time when I during times of masturbation the head of my penis would flake up. At the time I thought nothing of it and just carried on as normal. After a few weeks, the flaky skin continued during masturbation and eventually that area became red and dry. I went to my local GU clinic and was tested for STD and hepatitis B, all tests came back negative. I was prescribed a steroid cream, but I refuse to apply this because I know it causes side effects and to be bluntly honest I don't trust the doctor I spoke to. Ever since I have tried every cream and oil I can think of from tea trea oil, aloevera gel, aloevera moisturizer, cucumber moisturizer, e45, olive oils you name it, I have tried everything. I have been advised to stop using soap to wash, so I am now using a natural soap wash, and presently using body butter after I shower to keep the skin moisturized. Now my condition has improved there's no doubt about that, but it is so extremely a gradual process. One thing I will mention is that when I used olive oil before bedtime, the skin would flake up the next morning, now is this a good thing or a bad thing? Could it be possible that the skin underneath the flake is trying to heal? Or is it just better to keep the skin moisturized continuously with body butter? Now if I masturbate or have sex, the area effected will go shiny red for up to 2 days and then go back to normal red. I have tried holding off masturbating for up to 4-5 days as that is as far as I can manage, but it's not helping a great deal. Does anybody have any advice they can give me at all? Anything I should stop doing, or carry on doing?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Could you attach a picture of the skin when it is red and/or when it is flaking without being red?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Love,Thank you for getting back to me. Ok basically my present situation is if I masturbate with lubricant, it will not flake at all. I can try masturbating without lub to see if it still flakes as a trial. After 3 days of olive oil usage, the skin area where its red will go crusty slightly and will flake just a little bit, like small specs. One thing I can tell you is that the area of redness has reduced, and the flaking has seriously reduced. You might be asking at this point why am I still looking for help, because 4 months into this problem i am not totally rid of it and I just need a professional advice. Another thing I can tell you is that out of the many oils, lubricants and moisturizers I have tried, the rash is responding most to the olive oil and cucumber moisturizer. The sls and chemical free shower wash that I am using is also delicate on the skin, so that's also helping. Now as for the picture you require, the thing is it'll take some days before the skin starts to flake after sexual activity, so if you are ok to wait I can take a picture of it after a couple of days, or I can show you a picture of it now anyway just so you can see it in its present state. If I do send you the picture, my questions are is this conversation private in the sense that only me and you can view it? And also are you sure no one else on the internet or anywhere else will be able to see the picture?Thank you again
I can certainly discuss options to moisturize the skin without a picture. The reason for reviewing a picture would be that it would allow some assessment of whether it looks inflammatory. If there is a recurrent inflammatory condition of the skin of the penis, then moisturizing will be of limited benefit. As for privacy, anything that is typed into this thread or attached can be generally viewed, but privacy is maintained by separating any individual information from this thread. Only the admiistrative people at JustAnswer can see any of the personal or financial information that you entered. Even the experts cannot access that information. Consequently, no one reading this thread, including me, will associate the discussion or the picture with any individual. If you would rather have a discussion without review of a picture, that would be fine. It depends upon what level of information you wish to receive from this interaction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Love,Ok I have taken several pictures with my camera, please see the attached. I think the very last picture is the clearest one though. Notice the texture difference between the right side of the penis and the rest of the surface area. Coincidentally I am right-handed, so when I masturbate it's with my right hand, whether this means that the rash on the right side I guess is a strong possibility.
Thank you for the pictures. There does not appear to be an area of primary inflammation. It is true that skin that is excessively dry can become secondarily inflamed, which is called xerotic eczema. Steroid creams can help with exacerbations of xerotic eczema but it is not as important to use a steroid for xerotic eczema as for primary inflammatory conditions. Since you would prefer to avoid the use of a steroid cream, it is fine to focus interventions on moisturizing the skin. There are a couple of other interventions that can be tried to help to moisturize the skin. It can help to soak in salt water. Plain water tends to dehydrate the skin, which is why the fingertips tend to wrinkle when the hands have been in water for much time. However, salt water tends to hydrate the skin. Using salt water compresses is an option, but it usually works better to soak in salt water. This can be done by adding salt to bath water, either table salt or Epsom salts. After soaking and gently drying the skin (without rubbing the skin), a moisturizing lotion or gel can then be applied. You have already used many of the better moisturizers, but another option that works well that you have not listed is petroleum jelly or a combination product containing petrolatum and lanolin, such as A&D ointment. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Love thank you. can i still have unprotected sex and oral sex? Is it safe?
Absolutely, assuming that you are in a relationship in which it is otherwise safe to have unprotected and oral sex.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank u. Dr i just have some final questions.1. How do you think i got this in the first place? I did have unprotected oral sex with another woman other than my wife 2-3 weeks prior to this happening. Do you think theres a connection, or is it something else?2. Your advise is to soak my penis in salt water, are you referring to normal table salt that you sprinkle over food, or are you referring to bath salts that you soak in during baths? As in mineral type salts.3. Do you reccomend i soak my whole body in bath and just put salt in it? Or shall i just get a small bowl fill it with water, put salt in it and just dip my penis in?
1. There usually is no specific cause. Some people have drier skin than others. It is not related to sex with another woman, as this is not an STD. 2. As I said above, either table salt or Epsom salt would be OK. Bath salts are not as good an option, but not because of the salts, but that they usually add other ingredients to improve smell, etc. 3. It is usually easier to just do it in the tub, but using portable sources of salt water, such as a bowl or salt water compresses, can be used if soaking in a tub is undesirable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thats great, one more message and that after that I will be on my way. I have looked at petroleum jelly's on amazon, and I found 2 possibilities, which one do you reccomend? The first link contains paraffin, is this still safe? The 2nd link is more natural and organic, do you think that one is a better option?http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaseline-Original-Petroleum-Jelly-250ml/dp/B0042280CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457948856&sr=8-1&keywords=petroleum+jellyhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Un-Petroleum-26151494-Jelly-314-ml/dp/B000OO7546/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1457949010&sr=8-18&keywords=petroleum+jelly
I prefer the Vaseline formulation, but in the US, there is a generic that is the same formulation, so the brand name is ***** *****
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for everything, all your information and advice I hope it leads me to full recovery.