DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I'm 18 years old, female, sexually active and my doctor has

I'm 18 years old, female, sexually active and my doctor has diagnosed me with chronic cystitis. However I don't feel like I have this, I sense little pain when peeing but I have a constant burning/discomfort at the urethral opening which some days can be very discomforting. I've had it on an off for several months but now it has been persistent for 3 weeks. The doctor won't give me any antibiotics as she feels it's self-inflicted from alcohol and sex which neither I have necessarily excessively. Despite putting a hold a sex in my relationship and no drinking during nights out at the weekends I still have this pain. She has told me to come back in a month if it persists but I don't feel like I can take the pain any longer. I'm having to drink more than 3/4 litres of water a day and adding bicarbonate of soda as well as having several glasses of cranberry juice and massaging an oil added with tea tree essential oil for the pain to be releaved for an hour at the most.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou need a urine culture. Comprehensive.It is not proper to simply wait on this. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello thanks for your response,
What is a urine culture?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It is a urine sent to the lab.any bacteria present is grown and identified.The susceptability to antibiotics is also measured. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible I've not already had this done? I've had to send off multiple pee samples, ones for bacteria and also for STIs. I've also had swabs taken for further tests but these were all negative.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
In that case, if you have had it done, go to a urologist.You probably have interstitial cystitis, which is diagnosed on scope.This gets a different medication called elmiron.Please click a positive now, or see my premium service offer.