Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I've had pain on the right shoulder in the neck region for

I've had pain on the right shoulder in the neck region for quite a while (over 6 years!) Of late, the pain has started radiating to down to my right arm and is very painful. Sometimes I get tingling or numbness in the little finger plus the ring finger.
I keep on putting on weight, no matter what I eat or what exercises I do, the weight keeps on coming! (I've gone up from 11stone in 2009 to 16 stone now!) I've had a thyroid test apparently it was 'normal'. I feel tired all the time even when I haven't done anything, on my days off, I will wake up at around 9am, by 1pm, I'm so tired, I have to have at least two to three hours sleep! What is your opinion on my predicament
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question RachaelA couple things going on here. Let's address them one by one1)the neck pain and tingling in the fingers. This is very concerning. You have a disc in the neck that is bulging and pressing on a nerve. This is resulting in compression of the nerve. You need an MRI of the neck right away2)the weight gain is pretty typical for post menopausal females. Your group has the hardest of any group in losing weight. However, you might have sleep issues affecting it. lack of sleep results in abberations in cortisol which can cause weight gain. I recommend a sleep study and a cortisol blood level to be surelet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com