Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Unfortunately I have been drinking to excess time

Unfortunately I have been drinking to excess for some time and have been told by my Doctor to cut back. I have made a decision to stop completely with immediate effect. In fact it has been a dry week now.
I have been told that this is not a good idea and that I should reduce gradually rather than stop abruptly.
Is this sound medically and if so what are the dangers of a sudden complete stop?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionWell congratulations on quitting first of allIt is true that stopping alcohol can result in very serious consequencesHowever, you would have experienced them by now within one weekSo medically, you are out of the woods so to speak.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com