Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am on the depo provera injection the last year and do not

Customer Question

I am on the depo provera injection the last year and do not get my period. A week ago I started getting a brownish discharge throughout the day and thought it could have just been the lining of my uterus breaking down as I don't get my period. Then I noticed when I went to have intercorse it was so painful to even touch the area. What could this be? I have only ever been with my partner and neither of us have any STIs and have been checked before getting the depo.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Painful experience can be due to the hormonal influence.Hormones can make cervix soft and sensitive due to the increased blood flow.The delicate blood vessels can rupture causing bleeding as well.Vaginal infection other than STI is also possible if you have constant pain and urinary discomfort.Usually this is a short term problem.But do get it checked out by your doctor if persistent.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you recommend going to my gp or letting it pass itself?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delayed reply.You should see your GP if it does not improvement in next 3 days.Best wishes