Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am 42 years old (non-smoker) with a history of Asthma.

I am 42 years old (non-smoker) with a history of Asthma. Very rarely since then, it affects me with the only manifestation a dry cough. Now, for the last 4 weeks and following a respiratory infection, ( A GP heard some crackling noise top right lung, Penicillin was prescribed, week later he said it cleared) dry cough still persists. At night I do not cough at all, starts usually as soon as I wake up. I mentioned my history of Asthma to GP, he performed respirometry and he said to me that my lung capacity was fine, so no more medicines were prescribed. I would like to see if you have any suggestions or recommendations
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidafter respiratory infection, patients can often have cough from bronchiectasis swelling of your airway from recent upper respiratory infectiona course of steroid therapy often can help calm down inflammation in your lungs and calm down cough.if a course of steroids doesn't work, then you need to see a lung doctor and get more accurate pulmonary function testing and a chest xray and chest CT scan to check for fluid in the lungs and asthma and inflammation in your lungs. sometimes spring allergies can cause cough as well and you might benefit from allergy pills and steroid inhailers to help calm down allergic inflammation in your lungs as welllet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com