Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had dental implants 6 days ago . I have noticed that

I have had dental implants 6 days ago . I have noticed that one of the stitches has embedded into my gum ( it's a front tooth ) as it swelled up and caught the end of the stitch . They need to be removed in 8 days but this site is still red sore and irritating ....the other implant is healing well . Does my gum need cutting open to remove it? I have tugged on it myself and it's well imbedded in.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.I would suggest that you discuss this with your dentist as promptly as possible since, after 5 days, the risk of wound infection is greatest. Mean while, use a chlorhexidine mouth wash thrice a day (available OTC). I would advise that you do not tug or remove the suture yourself and have your dentist look at it. You should start on an anti inflammatory like Aleve (Naproxen sodium) 500 mg twice a day for the pain and inflammation.Avoid any hot drinks and beverages.Eat cold foods, ice creams, iced water etc.Hope this helps.Hope this helps.Please click on the stars on top of the screen to rate me, that is the only way I receive credit for my time and service.Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ...I am using a mouth wash as well as the gel . I will ice it down . Will it need cutting out tho?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if it is going in to the wound end first, then it will need to be removed. Because other wise it will keep irritating the wound and cause repeated inflammation and can be a source of infection as well.Please click on the stars on top of the screen to rate me, that is the only way I receive credit for my time and service.Regards.