Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

When I had spots in my late teens, I borrowed a friends foundation

When I had spots in my late teens, I borrowed a friends foundation to help my confidence. I was amazed at how much better I looked. 5 years later and I still wear it every day, because my skin is constantly red and angry. It gets very dry and on one side only it burns constantly, more so if I have moisturised. It seems better when left to dry out a bit. This is a never ending circle for me because it looks bad without covering it up with makeup, but if I keep putting it on it's not helping the problem. Most days I will also get raised bumps come up that are very itchy and very red. It's very embarrassing. I've been to a doctor about this and got told it was rosacea, but it isn't. When applying I put it on my hand and I have a constant red patch there as well. Can you advise on how I could get out of this endless circle? Are there any products that will cover it while it heals? Does this sound like a typical allergic reaction from what Im describing? I have tried lots of different brands of makeups and have used every cream under the sun to try and get out this loop.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidwhy do you think it is not rosacea?it can be rosacea vulvaris or bad acne of the face.you need to see a dermatologist for prescription antibiotic creams and pills to see if those help clear up your skin. you need blood tests to check your thyroid and hormone levels as well which can affect your skinyour skin issues don't sound like an allergic reaction.allergic reactions would also come with swelling and would not last this longand would respond to benadryl and hydrocortisone creamslet me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for your response.I don't actually have any spots now at all. It's just red skin, some areas more so than others.I believe it could be reaction related because I have a constant red area on my hand where I put makeup when applying it to my face?I have tried hydrocortisone creams and have had my thyroid checked before. I have Crohn's disease so am regularly checked with regards ***** *****I've been told before as well that this is dermatitis. My skin is very dry and flakey sometimes in areas. It is also like this on my hands where I am putting makeup to transfer to my face. Could it be possible that my skin just rejects something found in the makeup? I've tried different ones but perhaps they all have a particular ingredient. Have tried hypoallergenic ones too.Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the make up you are using could be making the situation worse and blocking skin poresit doesn'ts ound like you have tried any oral and topical antibiotic creams on your face for an extended period of time.it does sound like rosacea you have on your faceyou may have to go on little or no foundation for a while with antibitoic creams on your face to help clear up this redness on your h and and face.have you tried bare essential's foundation? let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking at photos of rosacea it doesn't look like what I have. My skin is more of a pink/red than a deep red and I have no raised areas. It is more like a rashy appearance.Here's a bit more info about what's going on to see if anything stands out to you.- I can never have my fave under the shower. It gets very dry and red afterwards feeling tight.
- one side of my face is far more uncomfortable that the other.
- it's always quite dry, under a light it looks a bit flakey.
- warm sun seems to make it burn more on that side.
- it feels chapped on that side easily if I've been out in the cold.
- I get bumps come up out of nowhere that are very itchy and after an hour or two go down without a mark.There is an obvious mark on my hand where I apply it daily from there to my face. I have tried bare essentials before can you recommend anything else to try? I've tried hypoallergenic ones and they didn't really make a difference. It's a difficult cycle to break out of with being concious if it's not covered with something. I'm a guy as well, so I don't want to keep wearing it, it's a cycle I got into from my late teenage years.If you could provide any extra details i will then rate.Much appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
everyone's rosacea is different.I can't see your skin.you haven't sent a photo of your skin to me.your doctor thinks its rosaceayou seem to think you know more than your doctor.why are you not willing to try topical antibiotics and antibiotic pills like doxycycline which could help clear up your skin. that is the first thing to try.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician