Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

When I lie down at bedtime on my right side the dizzyness starts.

Customer Question

When I lie down at bedtime on my right side the dizzyness starts. When I change position to lying on my back there is no longer the dizzyness. During the daytime there is no vertigo.
I am on daily 20 mg of Xarelto/Rivaroxaban. Have been on this anticoagulation treatment for 10-11 months . Todate have suffered no after effect symptoms from this medication.
I would mention the current bedtime dizzyness is only recent not much longer than a week.
a week ago I had some whiplash from a vehicle hitting my car at the rear.
At the time apart from being aware of the violent impact I suffered no pain or discomfort.
It seemed my neck muscles handled the sudden impact quite well.
Should i have check up with my local doctor?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. When someone has vertigo only in certain positions, that would suggest that it is arising in the inner ear (the labyrinth), and that only one of the semicircular canals are affects. There are three semicircular canals in each ear, lying at right angles to each other, and certain positions will affect different canals. When there is vertigo of recent onset, it is most often due to inflammation of the inner ear, also called labyrinthitis. The most common cause of labyrinthitis is an acute infection, most often a viral infection affecting the inner ear. However, it is also possible to get labyrinthitis from head trauma, and although you are otherwise doing well after the injury a week ago, the timing of the onset of vertigo is very suspicious for traumatic labyrinthitis. Most cases of labyrinthitis, including traumatic labyrinthitis, will resolve spontaneously over a few days to a couple weeks, so the usual initial approach is to use medicines that can help to ease symptoms and see if the vertigo resolves. There are many different antihistamines that can be used to help with the vertigo, such as betahistine and meclizine, but of over the counter medicines, the medicine that is most readily available is Benadryl/diphenhydramine. If the over the counter medicine helps to control symptoms, including taking a dose at bedtime, then it is fine to give this some time to see if the vertigo resolves. If the over the counter medicines do not work or the vertigo does not resolve, then it would be appropriate for you to see your local doctor. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/