Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had a cold that started at the end of January. It began with

I had a cold that started at the end of January. It began with a really sore throat at one side and the moved across to the other side as well. I had the usual headache, blocked nose and sinuses and my ears blocked up. My voice was hoarse for about 4 days and I could neither smell nor taste properly. The symptoms gradually got better one at a time after around 8 days. By that time I had developed catarrh and a cough. It is now 7 weeks since I first started with the cold and the catarrh is still there and so is the cough. The reason I am contacting you is the catarrh feels stuck in my throat and it feels tight and sore just above where my bra closes. I feel my breathing in feels restricted. I have seen my GP several times and I have had 2 lots of antibiotics which have not helped. One GP told me I had a crackling sound in my chest, hence one lot of antibiotics. The other GP in the practice told me she thought my lungs were clear though there was crackling possibly in the tubes going into my lungs. At that point she tested the oxygen in my blood with an infra red monitor she clipped on my finger. Apparently that was 98% which she said was good ( I have never smoked ) At night when I lie down I have to constantly cough and clear my throat for a while but then the soreness and tightness disappears and I can sleep okay but in the morning it is back within an hour. If I hold a hot water bottle against my back for around an hour which I tend to do some evenings, that also can get rid of the tight feeling. I am sorry to have given you such a length explanation but I am becoming very anxious about this now. Kind regards Barbara
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou could have a mucus plug in your lung blocking your breathing and causing you have to keep clearing your throatyou need additional therapy at this pointyou need high dsoes of guiafenesin like 400-600mg once or twice a day with plenty of water to help break up the mucus in your lungs to help you clear it better. gauifenesin is over the counter and sold in robitussin or Mucinex pills to help break up mucus and phelgm and catarrh in your lungs.you also need to go on a course of steroid therapy like prednisone for 1-2 weeks to help calm down inflammation in your lungs and to calm down cough.if these don't help your symptoms and you still have mucus and difficulty with breathing, you might need a sputum culture and a course of antibiotics.if that doesn't work, you need to see a pulmonologist to get a chest CT scan and a possible bronchoscopy to look down into your lungs to check for mucus plugs which can block airways and affect breathing and cause cough.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I will go back to my GP with your recommendations. I may contact you again for further information. Kind regards Barbara
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, good idea to see your GP again with my recommendationsyes, you can always reach me again if you have other questions.thank you for your positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com