Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have some trouble with my ear. I think I some hardened earwax.

I have some trouble with my ear. I think I some hardened earwax. My hearing in the left ear is affected by it, it's also uncomfortable. When I wake up in the morning it's worse, I sleep on my side and therefore creates some pressure against my pillow. I've been trying to resolve this by cleaning my left ear regularly with cotton tips. Doesn't help.
I read something online about a solution of white vinegar, water and hydrogen peroxide. It will soften the ear wax and clean up my ear canal. Is this something that's safe, and also would help? If not, do you have any advice?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,I would suggest instead of making your own solution better get Over-the-counter wax softening drops such as debrox or murine , they may be put into the affected ear and then allowed to drain out after about five minutes while holding the head to the side, allowing the drops to settle. Sitting up again will let the drops drain out by themselves. The best move would be to get your ear examined by the doctor so that any thing other than wax can be ruled out and if impacted wax is the cause it can be washed by a clinical procedure by flushing the ear with a solution.Let me know if you have further questions.