How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18448
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I'm not sure what the problem is but I have a few symptoms

Resolved Question:

Hi, I'm not sure what the problem is but I have a few symptoms which aren't making sense to me!
Watery discharge, itching, slight swelling on area above urethra, what looks like cracked skin/grazes around vaginal opening, raised HB in urine, raised LEU in urine, raised ketones in urine, NIT positive in urine and urine pH of 7/8.
My symptoms don't seem to match anything that I've looked up(I.e yeast infection or UTI)
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Did your doctor perform any test on the discharge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not seen a doctor yet, appointments are very difficult to get at my local doctors. I work in a maternity ward so I was able to perform urine samples myself.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
That makes sense. It was surprising that a doctor would do a urine test in this situation and not a test on the discharge. The most likely cause of this would be a specific type of vaginal infection, or vaginitis. Most women are familiar with a yeast vaginitis, but there are actually a couple of other germs that can cause a vaginitis, including trichomonas and bacterial vaginosis, which is due to overgrowth of bacteria that normally are present at low levels. The trichomomonas and bacteria infections will cause a discharge that is not as thick as the discharge from a yeast vaginitis. And the trichomonas infection will also commonly cause irritation and minor infection of the urethra, so can cause changes in the urine that will look like a urine infection, such as elevated leukocytes and nitrates in the urine. A bacterial vaginosis can cause irritation around the urethra, but it is much less common than with trichomonas. The usually method for diagnosis for trichomonas vaginitis and bacterial vaginosis is microscopic examination of the discharge. Both will also respond to oral treatment with metronidazole. So, this is most likely a trichomonas infection, but microscopic examination of the discharge would be the proof that it is trichomonas. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read that trichomomonas is a sexually transmitted disease but I am not sexually active, can it be transmitted in any other way?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Yes, trichomonas is sexually transmitted, although it can remain dormant for long periods of time, so there does not need to be recent sexual activity. However, if you have never been sexually active, then it would be more likely a bacterial vaginosis. As I noted above, bacterial vaginosis will not do this as often as trichomonas, but in someone that has never been sexually active, it would be the more likely cause of these symptoms.
Dr. D. Love and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you