Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a 12 year old son that is really skinny and now he

Customer Question

Hi I have a 12 year old son that is really skinny and now he don't like the way he looks as people has commented about how thin he is he has been asking if he can take a weight gain supplements I am unsure about this I just need advice about it thanks Katie
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Generally, children who are not gaining weight is not because they do not eat but it is due to some underlying condition. The most common one being parasites in the intestines. Another one being any of the malabsorption syndromes.4And giving children supplements is not as it is in adults. It usually requires a careful evaluation of what nutrients the child is deficient in and what is the cause of this deficiency.If there are parasites in the intestine, then supplements will not help.So, the best course of action will be to first get a thorough evaluation from a paediatrician. The pediatrician will run a few tests which will include both blood labs and stool analysis. If there are parasites found then a single dose of albendazole can help.If the pediatrician finds a malabsorptive state then there are medication and supplements for that.Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars at the top right corner of the screen.Best wishes.