Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My husband is recovering from Prostate surgery (benign) day

My husband is recovering from Prostate surgery (benign) day 5. Catheterised for more than 2 mths. prior to this. From insertion he's experienced severe penis pain - tip and whole inside of penis. Catheterised several time (painfully) due to blockages etc. No medication has brought complete relief. Removal yesterday unsuccessful as retention occured. He is at his wits end and seriously traumatised, but told he should return home today, until another attemp at removal. Please advise, I am alone caring for him, and now desperate for help.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome,There is most likely inflammation of the penis due to repeated and traumatic catheterization which is causing this pain. I would suggest you to get a lidocaine gel and apply to the penis tip and inside 3 to 4 times a day and apply ibuprofen gel over the area. Lidocaine is local anesthetic and would make the area numb and pain free and ibuprofen would help in relieving inflammation and pain. Ultimate treatment is removal of catheter which would relieve inflammation.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Best wishes for your husband.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the suggestions have been tried without success.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Ok then other possibility is nerve related pain. I would suggest to visit a pain physician he can offer a nerve block technique to lessen this pain.Best wishes.