Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

Is it possible to hear voices without being mentally ill?

Customer Question

is it possible to hear voices without being mentally ill? I am a member of the Society of Authors who regularly gets articles published. At the moment I seem to be plagued and have been for some time with "groups" that disturb my sleep and keep me awake for hours during the night. They have names. One calls itself the "Geminis", another the "Flying Fish".I find I am so tired in the morning i am often unable to keep appointments and these "voices" hassle and harangue as they put it and are ruining my life. hat is the best thing to do and how is the best way to cope.
Mary
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidif the voices are bothering you and hassling you and keeping you from being able to keep appointments, then hearing these voices are becoming a problem and you need to see a psychiatrist for assessment and treatment.if you don't see a doctor these voices will continue to harangue you and bother you and will not get better.coping is what you have been doing so farwhy are you not willing to see a psychiatrist for evaluation of these voices?