Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have recently been asthma check because I have

Customer Question

Hi, I have recently been for an asthma check because I have been finding I am having asthma symptoms in a daily basis inspire being on high dose inhaled steriods. My check has not yelded any particular changes so I am now undergoing other checks too.
Other symptoms I am worried about include:
Bloated abdomin
Fatigue
Stopped menstration cycle for 3 months now. which has been been regular all of my life.
In the last couple of days small amounts of fresh blood on urination on tissue
General malaise
I have just had an ECG which didn't show anything startling, and awaiting results of blood tests.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.What asthma symptoms are you having?Was the asthma check a spirometry test that was normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The asthma symptoms have been wheezing, I work as a trainer, and I have been loosing my voice- obvious SOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tests peak flow, ECG, bloods
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concerns have ranged from:
Exacerbation of asthma
Heart disease ( I am also experiencing pretension of fluid in ankles)
However, I am also concerned about ovarian cancer...
A peak flow test is not as sensitive as a complete spirometry, but the likelihood of asthma with a normal peak flow is quite low. Heart disease that causes fluid accumulation in the lungs can present with asthma-like symptoms, but there usually would be findings on exam to indicate the fluid accumulation in the lungs. And since your doctor has not ordered any tests to assess for fluid accumulation, that would typically indicate that there were no such findings on exam. Another common condition that can present with asthma-like symptoms is acid reflux. Although most people with acid reflux will have heartburn, there are many people that will solely present with lung ymptoms, such as cough or wheezing. It take only a very small amount of stomach acid to cause significant irritation of the airways of the lungs, so the lung symptoms may occur before heartburn develops. It would be extremely rare for ovarian cancer to present with wheezing. Ovarian cancer can cause absent periods and abdominal bloating, but of all of the people that present with these symptoms, it would only be a very small percentage in whom it is found to be due to ovarian cancer. An absence of periods is more often due to a non-specific response to physical or emotional stress or to hormonal imbalance of estrogen and progesterone. It also can occur from other metabolic conditions, such as thyroid disease. If there were no abnormal findings on pelvic exam, then the usual next test would be the blood tests to look for any metabolic conditions. If the blood tests do not indicate a cause of the symptom, then imaging would be appropriate. For the wheezing, there are tests that can be done to look for acid reflux, but it also would be reasonable to try an over the counter medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as ranitidine or omeprazole. If these medicines ease the symptoms, then that would be strong evidence that the wheezing was due to acid reflux. If the wheezing does not improve, it would be reasonable to consider a complete spirometry or a test to look for acid reflux. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/