How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wieyedoc Your Own Question
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11272
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
Type Your Medical Question Here...
wieyedoc is online now

Couple of years now I've had an itchy scalp especial

Customer Question

Hello. For a couple of years now I've had an itchy scalp especially around my temples, ears and back of my head. I've tried anti-dandruff shampoos and also Nizoral. I always rinse and wash my hair with cooler water so it's not too hot. I don't want to use too many different products as I think this makes things worse. The Nizoral helped with some little spots I was getting on my forehead but my scalp is still regularly itchy. What could you suggest?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested. Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I have no other medical problems to speak of. I don't take any medications. I'm 29 and fairly fit. I exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet.I have noticed over the past 5 years or so that my hair has become thinner than it used to be. I do have a family history of baldness (brother, father and grandfather) but their baldness seems to be different - where they all had a clear bald spot develop and receding hairline, I still have a good covering of hair but it is generally just thinner on top.I'm not sure whether this might be related to the itchiness. I'm attaching a picture of my scalp from January 2016.Thanks. Mike.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that additional information and picture.I do not believe that your thinning hair is related to your itching scalp. In the picture it seems to be following the usual pattern for male balding.So. What should you do?Well, given that you have been dealing with this for a long time on your own, and have tried -- and failed -- making things better with (usually very effective) over the counter agents, I feel that it is time for you to get additional help. Especially as you (rightly) have concerns about the balding you have noted at the age of 29.I suggest you consult with a dermatologist who is experienced in dealing with scalp issues and hair loss. I don't mean going to one of those "hair restoring" places but rather a board certified dermatologist.I, truly, believe it is time for you to stop dealing with this on your own and seek out professional help.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
wieyedoc and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick thanks. I have rated you 5 stars because I think you have given me the best advice you could, even though it isn't really a direct solution to the problem.I just have a quick additional question about accessing this expert. Should I go to see my GP about this first and ask to be referred to a dermatologist? Sorry I just don't really know how to go about it.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.
In the USA you could go directly to a dermatologist.....But, in the UK, don't you have to go through your GP to get to a specialist? I'm not sure exactly how things work on your side of the Atlantic ;)I wish you the very best.Have a good weekend.

Related Medical Questions