Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My toes are itching and tingling like crazy. This issue has

Customer Question

My toes are itching and tingling like crazy. This issue has come and gone for years. Strangely it only seems to happen on the toes which I think I fractured years and years ago. If I touch them or scratch them, they become pink and a little swollen and itch even more. It feels like chill blains but right now it is distressing me as I fear a circulation problem. I'm 21 and not overweight. I do not have diabetes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This seems to become an issue when my feet are too hot, cold or sweaty. As I say it is mainly on my one foot. I have an anxiety disorder and it makes me panic because the feeling of tingling and itching can be intense. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
It the skin only itchy or is there is also a change in the color of the overlying skin i.e. red or blue or any other color?Are your feet swollen?Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not really. They are a little pink and very slightly puffy. Not blue. My feet themselves are not swollen just the small area on my two toes. I have just stopped hormonal birth control but as I say this has happened in the past.I have no other health conditions besides PCOS.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
Has it been very cold where you live?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No not recently. It's strange, at the moment there doesn't seem to be much reason for it. In the past I have had this happen when my feet have been very cold, or if I put them into hot water too fast. Sometimes, like now it seems to occur for no reason besides I rub them or irritate them in some way.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thinking about it, recently I think wearing some tight shoes set it off again.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your response.Itching is almost always due to release of chemicals i.e. histamines and other chemicals from the mast cells of the body.This can happen in your case due to excessive exposure to heat or cold or something that your body is allergic to.I would recommend using OTC pills such as benadryl to help reduce the itching. I would also recommend applying 1% hydrocortisone to see if it helps with your itching.If your symptoms persist you would require prescription strength medications and for that I would then recommend that you should contact your doctor.Just read that you are wearing tight shoes, even that can trigger your itching so you should think about wearing loose shoes and socks made of natural material like cotton.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your responses. I was concerned it may be a blood flow issue or perhaps nerve related but who knows. I will ask my doctor in more detail when I see him. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
I do not think it is either a blood flow or a nerve issue at all.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.
This session is open for any further questions.I would appreciate a rating by clicking on one of the stars at your end as that is the only way I am credited by the website on here.Kindest regards