Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

In August 2015 I developed a very small scaly patch on my scrotum.

In August 2015 I developed a very small scaly patch on my scrotum. creams such as Canasten and Dakacourt had no impact. My groin area then became very itch, moist and extremely red. Both groins then became similar. Phenoxymethlypenicillin and Itraconaxole tablets were tried but did cure it.
At the start of February 2016 I had a colonoscopy (probably unrelated) which was all clear and a week later I saw a dermatologist. She thought it was eczema and prescribed emulate ointment but it just caused a flare up. At the time of my appointment I had a small patch of red rash on my inner wrist/arm. In the five weeks since the appointment the rash has spread up both arms, appeared under both armpits and is now on the top of one of my feet.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Could you attach pictures of the rash in the various locations?
I had asked for some pictures of the rash and have not heard back. The diffuse nature of the rash is more typical of an inflammatory skin condition, such as eczema, than an infectious skin problem, such as a fungal infection, but it is difficult to say more than that without reviewing pictures. If an inflammatory skin condition does not respond to topical steroids, such as you have been prescribed, the usual next options would be either a short course of oral steroids, such as prednisone, or a topical medicine that suppresses the immune system by a different mechanism, such as tacrolimus or pimecrolimus. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pictures now attached - in the last couple of days there has been a spread from under my armpits down both body and down top part of inner arms
From the pictures, this does appear to be most likely a form of eczema. Since it is spreading, I would usually consider a short course of oral steroids, although a different topical medicine would also be an option.