Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been diagnosed with generalised anxiety and a form of

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with generalised anxiety and a form of post traumatic stress disorder. I took Mirtazapine 15 mgs at night for several months. I have since had a relapse and been put back on Mirtazapine. I have been taking it for almost four weeks but the effects have not been as good. It has not really helped with my sleep. My sleep was partial and broken before and remains the same. I am still feeling quite anxious at times. Should I stick with the Mirtazapine or see my doctor to try and change the medication. Would I be better to taper off it and manage on my own. I know that 30 mgs of Mirtazapine is less sedating than 15 mgs and I would like to sleep to improve.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Generally speaking, doctors will usually try to adjust the dose of a current medicine before changing to a different medicine. So, the usual approach in this situation would be to try a higher dose of the mirtazapine. Even if it is not more sedating, per se, the higher dose may be better able to control the anxiety and PTSD, and you may get better sleep because of better control of the underlying conditions. The recommended dose range for mirtazapine is up to 45 mg per day. It is also true that while there are other sedating antidepressants, the mirtazapine is usually the most sedating antidepressant, so if the mirtazapine is helping the anxiety and Scx, but you are still having difficulty sleeping, it may be better to add another medicine to the use of mirtazapine, rather than changing from the mirtazapine to a different drug. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/