Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have an anal fissure that keeps returning after healing

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.A recurrent anal fissure occurs due to the fact that the fissure becomes chronic and is then known as a chronic anal fissure. This is identified as a fissure having a skin tag called sentinel tag over the fissure. This fissure flares up every now and then at the most trivial of trauma that occurs with hard or constipated stools. This is then known as an acute on chronic anal fissure. The acute stage can be dealt with by taking stool softeners, laxatives, high fiber diet, sitz baths and applying 0.2 percent GTN and lidocaine 5 % cream on it. The chronic fissure that remains needs to be seen by a surgeon and is dealt with by a procedure called lateral internal sphincterotomy. This is a day care procedure and can be done under regional or local anesthesia.Discuss this with your surgeon and if you have any queries please do get back to me.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. As it does clear up after using fucidin does this rule out more serious conditions such as anal cancer?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Yes, anal cancer does not present like this. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.