DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I had a cough virus one month ago, but the cough now sounds

I had a cough virus one month ago, but the cough now sounds like the croup my son had as a baby. My lungs are clear as I had a check up and ECG at the local hospital this morning. The cough is non productive and persistent. I am taking the usual things for a cough but it sounds like a seal barking. Any advice please. I have had one course of anti biotics two weeks ago, but I am aware that a virus will not respond and has to burn itself out. I am female and 71.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIt can be whooping cough.Antibiotics will not help this.It can be mono, and antibiotics will not help.Ask your doctor to check for these, and to do a chest x ray to rule out atypical pneumonia. The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like thisleafy greensgreen veggiesother veggieswhole fruit, beans and peasWhole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refinedSeeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.A little tofu or tempeh dailyA little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurtThe soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.