Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

There, My girlfriend had strep throat and infected tonsils

Customer Question

Hi there,
My girlfriend had strep throat and infected tonsils which she received antibiotics for. She was given a 10 day course of Phenoxymethylpenicillin 250MG to take 2 tablets 4 times per day. That worked and after 8 days she stopped 2 days short of the 10 day course finishing.
A week went by and she started to have an itchy throat again. I made her take the remaining 2 day course of antibiotics. Nothing much improved so we went to the doctors. She had a temperature and felt ill but could still walk about. She felt achey. They gave her another 5 day course of the same antibiotics. By the time she got home she was really unwell and later that day she was experiencing bad pain in her back and severe stabbing pain in one of her ears. She also started suffering from vertigo and severe headaches. The next day her other ear was hurting and she spent most of the day throwing up.
Today she seems to have lost some of the original symptoms, isn't throwing up, but she still has the following problems:
hearing loss in one ear
vertigo
feeling sick
sometimes pain in the 1st ear that started hurting originally
ringing in the ear / heartbeat thumping in the ear
Stiff neck. Unable to move about for more than 5 minutes.
Bumps at the back of her throat
She has now also developed a rash that has moved across her face and has a really itchy scalp + white bumps on her arm (could be unrelated).
She runs out of antibiotics now.
I was wondering if you could think of what the cause might be. Has the infection moved? Is the itchy scalp and bumps related? Can you think of anything that might help?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.These symptoms are concerning.Given ear fullness and hearing loss, she has a bad ear infection.That will require stronger antibiotic like Amoxy-clav or levofloxacin.Another serious possibility can be Meningitis bacterial infection of the brain.That will require antibiotic through veins for faster action.Given these possibilities, better to take her to the local hospitalBest wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's also a Type 1 Diabetic. I am attaching files of the rash and her throat.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the pics.Her throat appearance is due to the recent infection --common and will subside with antibiotic course.The rash is also due to the current infection --antibiotic will help.Lastly, since she is type 1 diabetic she is at high risk for severe infection.Her immune system is not as strong like yours.That is why she should be seen in the hospital for safety.Best wishes