Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 19 years old and I can't have intercourse with my girlfriend

Customer Question

i am 19 years old and I can't have intercourse with my girlfriend because I cant get a full erection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have just started dating. We have only tried to have sex 3 times and all 3 times I couldn't. The first time i just could not get an erection, and the second two times, I had ejaculated, with a weak/limp erection (not full or hard) before I could have intercourse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.How long has this been bothering you?Were you formerly able to achieve a full erection?Do you have any chronic medical problems?Are you taking any chronic medicines or recreational drugs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have only tried to have sex 3 times and it started in February. I can get decent erections while watching porn. but whenever me and her try I just cant seem to get one. This is very strange since I have had sex in the past and have full erections. I do not have any chronic medical problems and I do not take any medicines or drugs except for Protein Powder supplements for working out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The protein supplements that I have taken, not for very long since ive just started working out, are Gold Standard Pre-workout and Gold standard Serious Mass, also I have not taken a lot, but in the past few weeks i have take a few 1000mg L-Arginine pills
Thank you for the additional information. In a man that has difficulty achieving a full erection, it can be related to either medical or psychologic conditions. However, the medical conditions that cause difficulty with erections are less common in otherwise healthy 19 year olds, o psychologic conditions are more common. The medical problems that can affect a 19 year old are certain metabolic problems that can arise in young people, such as juvenile-onset diabetes or congenital vascular abnormalities. It is also common for 19 year olds to use certain recreational drugs that can affect erectile function, including alcohol, cocaine, or amphetamines, but if you are not taking any recreational drugs, this would not be a problem. Neither the protein supplements or the arginine would interfere with erectile function. The most common psychologic conditions that can affect erectile function are anxiety or depression, If there is a specific interpersonal issue with your girlfriend, that also can interfere with erections. There are a couple of options at this point. If one of the above conditions are known to be present, then that would be the first issue to consider. If none of these appear to be present, then it would be reasonable to address the most likely cause of psychologic issue. In addition, certain antidepressants are now the primary treatment for men that ejaculate quicker than desired. The SSRI antidepressants, such as citalopram, have been shown to improve this problem, even in men that are not having noticeable anxiety or depression. Another option would be to use a medicine that will directly improve erections, such as Viagra or Cialis. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Are you in the USA?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I used to masturbate probably around once a day until today where Ive decided to stop for while. Is it possible that a low sperm count could contribute to my issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does over-masterbating lead to a young mans erectile dysfunction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have 4 midterms next week? do you think after the stress of my midterm is over that I will be alright?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am really scared about this now because I really like this girl and I dont want her to lose interest in me over this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please help, I dont know what to do
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.
Try to relax. You are going to be OK. Over masturbation doesn't lead to ED. The stress of your exams and your performance anxiety is what is causing your ED. I see this everyday in men your age. This is only temporary and will go away once you stop stressing out about this. Stress leads to the release of a hormone in your body called norepinephrine and this causes you to lose your erections. Relaxation techniques can be taught by a psychologist of you cannot do this on your own. Hope this helps.
The stress of the midterms, though, certainly could be contributing to the erectile dysfunction. As I said above, psychologic conditions are more common a cause of erectile dysfunction in 19 year olds, and midterms/finals is certainly a common reason for anxiety.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
me and her have agreed to try again after midterms, but do you think this is enough. I fear that the next time we try to have sex and I dont get an erection for her, i dont even know what will happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont want to take pills but I am trying my very best to be calm but i still fear that the next time we try to have sex I wont get an erection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive even tried to look at porn today and I couldnt get an erection
This is frequently enough. However, the more that you fear that the problem will recur, it is likely to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I realize that it is hard to relax just because someone tells you to relax, but the better that you can relax, the more likely that this will not recur.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but even just seeing a pair of breasts doesnt give me an erection anymore
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i remeber recently being able to get hard for anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long do you think it will take for me to get back to normal?
Yes, but you are also in the middle of being stressed. It would depend upon how long it takes for the stress to pass and for you to be able to relax. If you are able to relax about this issue then it will usually not last long.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any other tips and advice?
It would depend upon what it takes for you to relax. Everyone has different methods to be able to relax, and whatever works for you would be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so basically what your saying is that its all in my head? I dont need to take any pills or supplements or change my lifestyle and whatnot. Just relax and get over my anxiety for performance and exams?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you also think that i should stop watching porn? Ive read about porn induced erectile dysfunction
We do not like to describe psychologic conditions as being all in your head, because it is a pejorative term. Watching excessive amounts of porn may affect your response to interpersonal situations, so it may help to limit the amount of porn that you watch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am feeling much better Dr thank you, ***** ***** think the internet was scaring me a lot too. I think my gameplan for now is going to be to limit my porn and masturbation, focus on exams for the moment and then when the time comes to have sex just to be confident with my body and comfortable enough to get an erection
Very good.