Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I was diagnosed with chest infection and took 7 days amoxicillin

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with chest infection and took 7 days amoxicillin 500 ...My persistent cough has continued and I am now feeling worse with blood in nasal mucus for over 5 days a little sickness with the cough and a slight cracking sensation when breathing out sometimes. None of those symptom were present when I got the antibiotics. I can't get an appointment with my GP to review if I need further antibiotics or other medication. I want to be examined as I fell my symptoms are getting worse
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou do need to go back to see your GP doctorif you are coughing up sputum, you need a sputum culture and a repeat chest xraya repeat chest sputum culture can check if there is still infection or bacteria in your sputum which might need another course of antibiotics.often times after chest infections are treated with antibiotics, you can get swelling of your airways and mucus in your airwaysthis is best treated often with a course of steroids like prednisone or methylprednisolone and with mucinex or guaifenesin to help break up the mucus to help your lungs clear and cough it up better.I hope you don't smoke.some infections can be resistant to amoxicillin and so a sputum culture can check thatyou might need another course of antibiotics.talk to your GP doctor about these issueslet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have other questions?