Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My daughter is still having re occurring eye redness,swelling,white

Hi My daughter is still having re occurring eye redness,swelling,white discharge.it has been going on since September last year.In the last two weeks it has happened 3 times.Friday being the worst .It frightened her as within 20 minutes she was unable to open her eyes because of the pain and swelling.The white of the eye becomes completely red,underneath the eye swells,and she is unable to move them because of the burning pain.the skin around the whole eye area I becomes red raw and the next day her eyes are stuck together because of the white string like discharge.she removes this discharge and it comes out like long pieces of string.....although she said it relieves the pain once removed .she is in Canada now but home in three weeks.we have booked a doctors appt but I am wort used there maybe a more serious problem going on ,she has had numerous steroid and anti histamine drools from the doctors over there but they aren't being very helpful apart from that.she is twenty years old,her eyes are amazing and I think she (and myself) are getting more worried as the symptoms are getting worse and more frequent ..HELP!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidshe could be having a bad fungal infection in her eye causing the white discharge.eye injury can lead to eye fungal infections.eye fungal cultures can tell if there is fungus growth in the eye.when is her doctors appointment.she can also go to the ER or hospital if she is loosing vision or having severe eye swelling. let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi she is due to go to the doctors on the 12th April (earliest booking appointment available).
Will the doctor have cultures done or shoukd I ask? Is it worth asking to have an appointment with an eye specialist.?.....her excema has also come up on her hands now which she hasn't had before....could it be possible that there is an infection there that is transferring to her eyes?she has amazing eyes and I'm worried that she will have per enact damage,the eyes are so delicate.It is really getting her down
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you should ask for eye bacterial and fungal cultures to be done.any eye doctor can do this.she needs to see an allergy and immunology doctor as wellyes, the eye can catch bacterial or fungal or viral infections.the eyes are not as delicate as you think they are.she can use cold compresses on the eyes and continue with steroid and antihistamine and over the counter allergy medications like allegra and claritin and benadryl at night timelet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry just one more question to put me at ease......is there likely to be a more serious medical problem behind this or do you feel from the description I have given you that the likely cause is infection?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it is most likely an infection or severe environmental allergies that her current treatments are not controlling.she might need blood tests and skin testing to find out what is causing her symptoms.and stronger steroids to help calm down her immune response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phew ok thank you .She has had a tough time with her skin,excema and now her eyes she must be exhausted dealing with it all.its good to be reassured.I will ask the doctor to transfer us to the eye specialists and tell my daughter to carry on with the compresses and anti histamine and hopefully we will get to the bottom of it when she gets home.Thank you for your help .
Have a good day,sorry to bother you on a Sunday!.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no problemdon't forget to leave positive feedbackdo you see the ratings area?thanks for using JustAnswer.com