Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My 18 year old son is trying VERY hard to give up smoking

Customer Question

My 18 year old son is trying VERY hard to give up smoking cannabis. Is there anything you can suggest that would help me even more? medication/ Mentor? He has turned his life around over the last 8 months and works full time and has joined the gym. I really want to help him.
Regards Saarh
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. There is some evidence that psychosocial support can help improve quit rates for marijuana. This can be accomplished in individual or group sessions, although group sessions are more often used. Many of the group sessions. Many of these groups have a mentor or sponsor incorporated into the program. There are limited studies on medicines that can help with quitting marijuana. There have been some small scale studies for marijuana withdrawal using bupropion, an antidepressant that has been shown to help people quit smoking cigarettes. There also have been limited studies using lithium to help with marijuana withdrawal. These small studies have had mixed results, and larger studies will be needed to better define the effectiveness of such interventions. It also may help to use medicines that are oriented towards relief of withdrawal symptoms. For example, clonidine is used to help blunt withdrawal symptoms from a variety of drugs. Doctors will usually want to limit its use to people that have specific withdrawal symptoms. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.