Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I was taking the Cerelle mini pill a week, I

Hi, I was taking the Cerelle mini pill for about a week, I had one day of bleeding and stopped taking it as I could tell it was really affecting my moods. I have since had unprotected sex several times, and I would like to know what are the chances of pregnancy as i was only taking it for a short time, but I did have a bleed during that time. Thanks
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you today.After stopping cerelle the chances of pregnancy with intercourse come back to normal.Using it for one week would not protect you from pregnancy if you have had unprotected intercourse after stopping it.The protective effect goes away after 12 hours of the last pill taken.Bleeding is a known side effect of this pill and would not affect chances of pregnancy later. This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your quick response, Sorry so just for clarification if had a days bleed would that mean that there was still a chance of pregnancy? I thought because that had happened that this meant that I was not ovulating?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Bleeding can be due to other factors and does not mean that ovulation has not occurred.Therefore having a days bleeding does not mean that you are protected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. I thought bleeding meant that there would not be any chance of pregnancy, like a period does, Thats why I am so confused, but it only lasted a day. I thought that because this had happened it meant I was not pregnant.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
The hormones contained in these pills also effect the endometrial lining in different ways in addition to their effect on ovulation and mucus.These effects make the lining fragile and prone to bleeding.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Do take time to rate this answer as we get credited per rating on this website.You can rate the answer by clicking 4 or 5 stars at top of your page.