Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

There,Just wanted to ask advice on a problem

Customer Question

Hi there,
Just wanted to ask for some advice on a problem that has been bothering me for as long as i can remember, well probably since i finished puberty. I think the problem is either genetic/hereditary or something that went wrong hormonally during puberty, i can't remember if this was an issue before puberty as it was quite some time ago.
I am a 28 year old male 6ft 2" and i have a very small bone structure i.e. thin arms, very small rib cage, small narrow fingers, small head volume. I also have very little muscle mass and strength. Many guys the same age as me at the time have made fun of me over the years have told me i look feminine and i think over time psychologically it has really affected my self esteem. About 6 months ago i convinced myself that i had Kleinfelters Syndrome as i though i had literally had all of the symptoms but after some kayrotype testing the results confirmed that i have a normal male karyotype.
Therefore i'm not quite sure how my body came to be this way? It depresses me that my hands and overall body shape is smaller than my girlfriend and she is what you call a petite/normal curvy frame for a woman, which is great for her but not so great for me being a man and smaller than her! I've seriously been thinking about taking human growth hormone to make my bones bigger as it's so depressing at the moment. I know that sounds ridiculous because i think growth plates fuse after puberty? but i'm willing to try anything at the moment.
Can anyone provide some advise on how i can fix this or if it's really too late to change anything in my body or at least provide some answers as to why my body is this way? I know as human beings we are all different but i think as a man to have so little manliness that people think you are feminine in your body shape then that really sucks!
My Dad isn't exactly a very manly guy but just looking at his hands and arms they are a bit bigger than mine so maybe something went wrong during my development into an adult?
Any advise would be appreciated?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Daviddid your mother drink alcohol or smoke during her pregnancy?at your age of 28, your bone plates are fused.taking growth hormone will not help.that is good you have a girl friend.some guys at your age don't even have a girl friend.you are taller than the average male at 6'2" tall.I am only 5'3" tallthere are things we all wish we could change about ourselves.we are all different in different ways. this makes the world a better place.you should not let these size differences bring down your self esteem.do you think talking with a psychotherapist about this would help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,My mother was a smoker (10-15 cigarettes per day) up until she got pregnant and then stopped smoking throughout her pregnancy so i'm not sure if this had an effect on my development? Do you think the fertility clinic may have made a mistake with their tests for Klienfelters, maybe i have mosaic Kleinfelters? As i have literally all of the symptoms except that i may have more body hair than would normally be the case with the condition, maybe i'm wrong and i have some other form of Hypogonadism?Personally, i would in a heartbeat trade some of my height in order to be more masculine. Like you said in your previous email we are all different but it really sucks to have a feminine body shape and to be right at the bottom of the masculinity pool, i have never met a man in my life (most women actually) that have smaller hands and wrists than me. It's depressing! What's worse is that when i think i'm coming to terms with it someone in my life makes fun of me for being feminine like and i get depressed again. If it's possible to diagnose what is wrong with me at least that would be useful for me to try and accept myself for as i am. It's kind of strange but often i feel uncomfortable in a group of men usually in work this affects me the most, it's like something is missing but i can't quite put my finger on it.Thanks for offering counselling but i think it's just something i just have to deal with because nothing can change it, and have lived with it all my life so far.Just for my information do you think this is something that i have had all my life i.e. genetic? Or something went wrong during puberty and prevented me from growing properly. My Dad has hands that are larger and fingers that are a bit thicker than mine so does that mean he was exposed to more testosterone or growth hormone when he was developing?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also i forgot to mention my joints crack a lot in my knees and heels literally every time i move them, it does not hurt but just makes a loud noise, this has probably happened since i was about 13-14 yrs old. I have very long legs in proportion to my torso and small joints. Do you think my joints cracking has anything to do with my joints being underdeveloped or just a random thing that is totally unrelated?Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, I don't think teh fertility clinics would have made a mistake for you.you might benefit from seeing a psychotherapist about your worries and anxieties like this to help you get over themyou might benefit from going to the gym and working out to help your physicality and to help your self esteem as well. let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,I go to the gym 3 times a week and i agree it does help me self esteem, but i still worry a lot about my current situation although maybe i should try and clear it from my mind as there is nothing i can do about it. Thanks for your help anyway.Just for information what causes people's bones to be thicker or longer? I understand that growth hormone increases the length of long bones through the growth plates when you are growing to make you taller but what about bone thickness? I'm guessing this is influenced by testosterone as generally mens hands, wrists etc are thicker than women generally and the only thing i can think of is due to the influence of testosterone is this the case?From my own body i have long arms and legs but i have short, thin fingers is this due to a lack of testosterone?Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
alot of that is determined by genetics and nutrition during childhood development.it is not lack of testosteronemost likely genetics which you can not change about yourself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so testosterone levels have no influence on bone size? I guess it must be genetics then as I always had a healthy diet as a child and was quite active. I did have a period for about a year between 16-17 where I didn't eat that well and lost about 2 stone but I still had a growth spurt in height during that period so maybe it had no effect. Would have taking testosterone or growth hormone during puberty have had an helped in bone growth/ a more masculine frame?Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
testosterone would not have been a big player. loosing weight at age 16-17 could have affected your bone growth.you most likely didn't need testosterone or growth hormone during that time. you had enough growth hormone and testosterone since you grew to 6'2"