Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a small groin hernia. I am 67 years old and would

Hello. I have a small groin hernia. I am 67 years old and would rather avoid an operation if I can, so my question is does this have to be repaired? What will happen if I just leave it alone and be careful not to lift anything or strain it in any way? Is it possible for it to repair itself over time? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Hernias have a tendency to get stuck in the orifice and this can cause strangulation which becomes and emergency.The smaller the hernias are the more the tendency to get stuck owing to a constricted neck of the hernia.Hernias do not repair themselves over time. If you are healthy and have no other contraindications to surgery then the best course of action will be to get this operated and repaired. Nowadays, hernia repairs are done as day care procedures and under local or regional anesthesia. You can go home the very same day and be walking around. After 10 days, you will be doing routine activity and your sutures will be out.You can lift weights after 3 months.If you are not keen on operation then bear in the possibility of strangulation and incarceration, avoid lifting weights, avoid constipation and straining. Please do discuss this with your doctor.Hope this helps.Do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.