Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a query regarding patient confidentiality

hi I have a query regarding patient confidentiality
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidwhat is your medical question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically, about 4 years ago I was diagnosed with HPV (wart causing) ... I went to my doctor in distress.. eventually though the warts cleared after about 4-5 months.. its in my medical history, currently my new partner and I are trying to get pregnant, im worried that he will attend doctors appts with me and my doctor may bring this up - I do not want him to know about this at all - can I ask my doctor not to mention ths?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also, if I go for IVF treatment will he have to tell them that I had genital warts years ago? or will I be tested for other STDs before being sent for IVF and thatll be the end of that?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, you can tell your doctor not to mention your history of HPV and gential warts.genital warts are not a life long virus and 90% of adults can clear the virus out of their system in 1-2 years.it sounds like you have cleared the warts out of your system in 4-5 months which means you have a good immune system.your doctor should not be talking to your new partner without your consent.if you go for IVF therapy, they do not have to tell your partner about your wart history. the wart virus is out of your system and not a risk anymore to your new partner.but you may have to be tested for other STDs prior to starting IVF therapy. but most likely they won't test for HPV virus, only in pap smear testing to they test for HPV virus, but if you don't have warts, most likely you are HPV negative on your pap smears.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my past 3 pap smears have been totally normal - yes. (touch wood) ive never had a negative smear.so basically, nobody would mention the warts and upon my docs referral for IVF, he would not need to mention this at all to the clinic when he refers me? he would just mention the outcome of the new STI tests which he will do before my IVF referral?have I understood this correctly?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I can not predict what your doctor will doif you are worried about this, I would ask for a sit down with your primary care doctor and let him or her know your concerns privately and tell them not to mention the warts to your partneryour primary may have to forward your medical records history to the IVF clinic for medical record information transfer.but the IVF clinic will not be worried about a prior history of HPV and genital warts affecting your fertility now.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, many thanks