Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I broke my ankle in 3 places on 22nd Feb I had surgery a week

I broke my ankle in 3 places on 22nd Feb I had surgery a week later and in hospital for 12 days. Now at home and still in pain. It's a stinging burning constant pain is this normal?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Do you notice any worsening swelling of the ankle?Burning stinging pain can be due to the undue pressure on the nerve around the ankle from the cast.Did you have any rod or hardwire put in to keep the bones together?That can also press on the nerve usually.This is expected and usually gets better over next 4 to 6 weeks with the healing process.Please discuss with your doctor also.Are you on pain medication?Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had 2 plates and screws inserted. No swelling and I can move my toes. I was on morphine for 3 weeks but now ampitripillian and paracetamol
Leg elevated at all times but is painful
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Ok.The screws can impinge on the nerves going around the ankle.You will likely need stronger pain medication for some more time.This will get better but will take some time.Please discuss with your doctor.Best wishes