Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am caughing and having episodes of very intense fever

Customer Question

I am caughing and having episodes of very intense fever in my entire body. It then feels less hot and i get extremely cold and shake.
It has been since yesterday evening, shall i get worried ?
Thanks,
Lehajam
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Are you having any shortness of breath?Is the cough productive of any sputum?Have you taken your temperature? If so, how high does it get?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back. It is not necessary to get worried solely because of cough and fever. The most common cause of cough and fever would be a viral infection, and these will typically resolve spontaneously over a few days to a week or so. However, it is also possible that cough and fever could be related to pneumonia. I asked about whether there is any shortness of breath, because that would be the greatest concern that you should be seen emergently. If the cough is productive of purulent sputum, then that also may be a sign that there may be pneumonia, but if there is no associated shortness of breath, then it would be OK to be seen less urgently. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.