Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My son is travelling in Thailand at the moment. He was admitted

My son is travelling in Thailand at the moment. He was admitted to hospital 3 days ago with gastroenteritis, was put on a drip with anti biotics and had to stay for 3 nights, the third precautionary. He has been given ciprofloxacin and metronidazole to take for 2 weeks. He is going to cambodia tomorrow and has to start taking malarone tablets now. I have read that it is not recommended to take 4 anti invectives at one time, malarone constituting 2 and the pharmacy at boots advised also that it is not recommended.
Please let me know if this combination of drugs is ok to take alongside eachother. He is 19
Leanne
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.There is no significant interaction between cipro, metronidazole and malarone tablets.However the side effect of all the antibiotics can add up.Stomach upset, nausea, vomiting can be experienced commonly.However, for gastroenteritis, cipro and flagyl course upto a week is considered adequate.2 week course is not necessary.Still these antibiotics can be taken together if tolerated.Should not be significant problem.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/