Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have recently been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid

i have recently been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid . I am apprehensive about taking medication for this , Basically , many years ago i had severe mental stress for several years and developed many symptoms eventually such as increased heart rate , pins and needles, an uneasy feeling that was only alleviated by patting with my hand or clenching my fist ( i was told this is a result of too much adrenaline and is similar to the person in a traffic jam who finds himself grasping tightly at the steering wheel ). Eventually many years ago i was prescribed dosulepin which helped greatly in calming me down. I have now been taking this for about 15 years tho and whilest it helps, it only keeps my stress levels at bearable levels, rather than making them disappear altogether. It seems that my body has just become accustomed to pumping out too much adrenaline as even when i have sustained stress free periods certain symptoms such as those mentioned above have just for many years been an every day feature in my life . Now i ahve been diagnosed also with an underactive thyroid. My concern is: will taking medication increase my adrenaline levels still further or heighten my stress symptoms? Hope you can advise me , many thanks .
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionThat is a valid concernHowever, I think you should take the medication at a low dose and seeJust be very conserative with the medicationlet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com