DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Im 35 years of age and have not had nosebleeds as a kid.

Customer Question

Hi im 35 years of age and have not had nosebleeds as a kid. when i had my second son i started to have nosebleeds, randomly they would start , e.g bending over the cot would start one off or in my sleep. there not weekly but every couple of months. iv been to see my doc about this but they dont seem to think its a probleum. iv been prescribed beaconaise steroid nose spray. it helped but still get them . it seems to me when iv got a cold i get them more again when i blow my nose or sleeping etc.. recently 3 months ago i had a virus andwas coughting a lot and coughted up a lump of blood and dry crusty phlem . i didnt feel well at all. the doc said my chest was clear. i insisted on antibiotics and an inhaler ,he reluctantly gave them to me. probleum went. this wed i had a sickness bug which i think i caught from my 2 year old whom also had a sickness bug. I was violently sick every hour for 11 hours then i slowly recoverd. but the first time i was sick i brought every think up and i noticed quit a bit of bright red blood the first time which was from my mouth , also i wiped my nose and and it was also bleeding.it did stop after 5 mins. all the other times i didnt notice anythink but bile no blood. im better now but had a bath tonite and noticed my throat is still feeling dry and irritated i keep trying to clear it gently and when i spat i noticed streaks of blood. nothink from my nose. im trying not to cought or laugh as it hurts a lot at the top of my ribs. I find it really hard to get an appointment at my docs as there always so booked up. can they do any think about permantly stopping these nosebleeds? or do u think its more serious than a common nosebleed ??
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou need a referral to an ENT doctor, also called an otolaryngologist.They can scope up much higher into the nasal passages and see if there are polyps or if there is a problem even higher.I think this is all from nose bleeds.Nose bleeds can happen from simply dryness and allergy, which the spray helps with.Blood can drip down the throat and be swallowed and you can vomit that up.It is important that your doctor also consider acid reflux and esophagitis, but I don't think you have that. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.