Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am currently in Cambodia and suffered a burn to leg from

Hi, I am currently in Cambodia and suffered a burn to leg from motorbike exhaust in Vietnam. Not healing after 1 week. 1st visit to pharmacy in Vietnam, given: triple antibiotic ointment and 1000mg augmentin pills. Today visit clinic. Given tridewell cream, alphachymotrypsine pills & clavmark 625 pills & ibruprofen. What do I do??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, can I have a beer!!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Could you attach a picture of the burn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you get the pic. This was taken a few days ago. I've cleaned away the grot in the middle but no great improvement. The pinkness around the edge has gone down slightly, I was using the triple antibiotic. Maybe I'm just expecting an overnight miracle!!
Thank you for the picture. The appearance on the image is that it is slowly healing. When there is a burn of greater depth, it is typical for it to take weeks to heal, so it is not surprising that it has not healed in one week. even a more superficial second degree burn can take about 10 days to heal, while a deeper butrn will take a few weeks. In addition, the appearance on the image does not look like it is significantly infected. Whenever there is a break in the skin, germs can get into the deeper tissue and grow. This will always happen to a certain extent, but when it is more significant, it can hamper healing. A more severe infection may also need stronger antibiotics, possibly IV antibiotics. However, as I said, the appearance does not look bad from the perspective of a significant infection, and since you also say that the surrounding pink is slightly better, that also is a good sign that there is not a significant infection. The topical and oral antibiotics that you are currently taking are appropriate. There is a small percentage of skin germs that can be resistant to the AugmentinClavmark, so if the surrounding redness seems like it is getting worse, it may be better to change to a different antibiotic, such as Bactrim. The other important aspect of care is good hygiene, with regular cleaning, including irrigating the wound with large amounts of clean water, then application of the topical antibiotics, and then covering with a clean bandage. While healing a significant wound, it is also important to be eating a healthy diet with a good amount of protein. If your diet is sub-optimal, then it would be reasonable to take a multi-vitamin supplement. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you...... My diet is very good here but what about beer!!
It is OK to drink beer at reasonable levels. It will not interact or interfere with the medicines. It also will not hamper the healing of the burn if it is kept at reasonable levels.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Love you Dr. love!!
I am glad that I could be of assistance. If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating, hopefully excellent, so that I am credited for assisting you.