Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My mother who is 78 has a chest infection - this was confirmed

My mother who is 78 has a chest infection - this was confirmed by her GP and Erythromicin was prescribed 4x daily - she has taken the meds along with an ibroprofen as she is in pain. After just 2 days she appears to be worse! She says she hurts all over and feels sick and dizzy - after looking on line I found a lot of people have had this reaction to Erythromicin - my mum is also allergic to Amoxycilin! Please advise we need her to feel better by Tuesday as that is my dads funeral!
Amanda
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I am sorry that your mother is so sick. There are a couple of options for choice of antibiotics at this point. The most commonly used antibiotic would be a cephalosporin type antibiotic, such as cefuroxime. However, some people that are allergic to penicillins, such as amoxicillin, can also be allergic to cephalosporins. The rate of cross-reactivity is low, but in someone with a more severe reaction or a more recent reaction, we tend to be more cautious. In that setting, using a fluiroquinolone, uch as levofloxacin. Another option would be an antibiotic that is in the same class as erythromycin, but is better tolerated, called azithromycin. If the infection seems to be improving on the erythromycin, and she is feeling worse solely because of side effects, then this would be a reasonable option. But it sounds from your description that the infection is getting worse, and if so, it would be better to change to a different class of antibiotics, such as one of the options noted above. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mum has gotten up now but she is still very tired and seems to be in a lot of pain every time she moves - she has said she hurts all over! I didn't give her the 4th tablet last night and I'm loathe to give her any more Erythromicin - should we just give her ibroprofen and paracetamol?
I am sorry for the delay, but the system did not alert me to your resonse. It is fine to just give her ibuprofen and paracetamol at this point, but she will likely need one of the other antibiotics noted above.