Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Since Thursday, my Body started to ache, since then my lower

Since Thursday, my Body started to ache, since then my lower back both sides really hurts, I have a fever and Diarrhoea no energy, I have been taking pain killers for the back pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am HIV positive
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The most common cause of these symptoms would be a viral infection. A viral infection is the most common cause of fever and diarrhea of short duration, and also can cause diffuse muscle aches. If the symptoms are more severe, then there should be consideration of whether this is influenza. Influenza is a specific viral infection that tend to cause more severe symptoms. An influenza infection can be treated with an antiviral that is active only against the influenza virus if started within 48 hours. Like other viral infection, it will typically resolve spontaneously, but the antiviral medicines can shorten the duration of the infection by a day or two. It is more common to consider the use of antivirals in someone having a more significant infection or that has chronic medical problems that increase the risk for complications, Other viruses will improve spontaneously and we have no direct treatment of these other viral infections, so the usual approach is symptomatic relief until the symptoms resolve. For the fever and aches, it is fine to take paracetamol or ibuprofen. For the diarrhea, it is fine to take Imodium, plus it will also help to be drinking more clear liquids. So, if the symptoms are more severe, it would be appropriate to be seen, but otherwise to use symptomatic relief. I had typed the above answer and was about to post it when you noted that you are HIV positive, In someone that is HIV positive, it is more of a concern, particularly if your immune system is more affected. If you are doing well with treatment resulting in a low viral load and normal white cell counts, then this can be managed as stated above. But if you are having an effect of the HIV infection on your immune system, we typically prefer to see these people quickly when they have a febrile illness. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** my kidneys that are giving the pain?, my hiv is under control, however I am concerned as I haven't had anything like this since getting hiv 14 years ago.
The low back pain with a viral infection is usually because of an effect on the muscles, rather than the kidneys. The muscle aches of a viral infection can be anywhere in the body, but is most often in the back.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/