Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My bowels are very loose like weak porridge & a pale brown,

Customer Question

my bowels are very loose like weak porridge & a pale brown, when I get the feeling to go I have to get there quickly, I am going on holiday tomorrow so I am worried about traveling, I don't feel ill or have any other symptoms but I've had it a few days now, thinking it would clear up but hasn't, can you suggest anything I can take? I would be very grateful for any advice, I am worried about eating and thought maybe to fast and just drink boiled water today to give my stomach a rest, I'm not over weight only 8st.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I am Dr. Love and I will be glad to help you today. The most common cause of diarrhea of short duration without other symptoms is a viral infection. There also are some bacteria that can cause acute diarrhea, but they are much less common than viral infections, and also will usually resolve spontaneously, so are usually only treated with supportive care similar to a viral infection. It is only with a more severe infection that we would consider antibiotics, which would usually have other symptoms. If you have eaten something unusual, then it may also be a food intolerance, but most people with food intolerances will have chronic or recurrent symptoms. There are several interventions that can help in this situation. It would be good to limit the diet to clear liquids for a day. It does not need to be limited to water. It would be fine to be drinking other clear liquids, except for apple juice, because apple juice is high in pectins that may make the diarrhea worse. There also is an over the counter medicine that can help ease diarrhea, Imodium. It also can help to replenish the good germs in the colon. Acute diarrhea can flush out the good germs in the colon, and the absence of good germs can cause diarrhea that persist even after the virus is no longer active. (This is also the reason we see diarrhea as a common side effect when prescribing antibiotics for infections elsewhere in the body.) It can help to replenish the good germs by eating yogurt with active cultures or by taking a probiotic supplement. It actually is wise to avoid other dairy products, because there can be an intolerance of lactose during the recovery phase of acute diarrhea, but yogurt has a lower amount of lactose because it is significantly eaten by the germs in the active cultures. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, then I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/