Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My baby is 10 days old. When 3 days old she was admitted to

My baby is 10 days old. When 3 days old she was admitted to hospital as her eyes were really sticky and also she have had really bad cold. She's still snuffly and the eyes improved a lot however she still have two little lumps just under her eyes / both sides of her nose what this could be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was treated with antibiotics for 5 days and she has eye drops chloramphenicol 4 times a day.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Can you please send me a picture of the bumps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if I've sent the pictures correctly?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
No, they haven't been posted. Can you please try again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope they will be posted now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** seen them.These look like mucoceles that develop as a result of blocked nasolacrimal duct system. The tear system responsible for draining the tears from the eyes to the lower part of the nose. It might just be residual swelling from the previous eye infection but more likely mucoceles. They tend to resolve spontaneously in most cases with massage and gentle compression. However, it is always best to seek help from a Paediatric ear, nose and throat surgeon or a pediatric ophthalmologist, so that an examination can be done and established that the nasolacrimal duct is patent. In case, it is not patent or absent, then a procedure known as dacrocystorhinostomy (DCR) can be done to relieve the swelling.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just have one more question. Could this be connected to her being snuffly too? I mean she's much better and now can breath through her nose but still not 100% and the lumps are smaller since the mucus started to actually come out.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Yes, actually, the sinus congestion can lead to the ducts being blocked due to viscus material being impacted in them. The lacrimal duct opens near the sinuses in the nose, so any infection or congestion in the nose can lead to them being blocked.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great thanks so much for your help