Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Please can you help. I have been very ill on and off

Customer Question

Please can you help.
I have been very ill on and off for 11 days.
Eye, ear, head ache. Throbbing. It seems to come and go. Sore throat and cough, also coming and going. Aches all over. Feeling totally wiped out for a few days then ok for a few hours.
I am waking with head and eye pain. The cough is now not keeping me awake.
I have already had anti biotics. A 5 day course Pheoxymethylpenicillin. Along with paracetamol, anti inflammatory and cough sweets etc. It never completely goes.
I am sick of it and I don't know how to shake it off.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.This sounds like a viral infection super imposed by a bacterial infection and these typically take a couple of weeks to start settling down. The course of the disease is prolonged because of the double infection (viral and then bacterial).I would suggest that you start on steam inhalations with methol crystals added four times a day and start lozenges for throat soothing.Now, you are okay to start on an anti cough syrup to avoid injuring the throat, any over the counter codiene product will be effective for the cough.You should continue the paracetamol 2 tablets every 6 to 8 hours for a few more days.If there is nasal / sinus congestion you should use xylometazoline spray one puff each nostril for 4 to 5 days thrice a day.Chicken soup is proven to be effective and boost immunity in such conditions so add a serving to your daily diet for now.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes and get well soon.