Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Good morning Doctor, I am a 48 year old male. Just over

Good morning Doctor,
I am a 48 year old male.
Just over 3 months ago I experienced pain in my lower abdomen & testicles after ejaculation, after a visit to my doctor I was given a course of Amoxicillin for one week. My symptoms continued to get worse, excruciating pain in me testicles, slight fever, pain in my lower abdomen & sometimes into my groin. My urination frequency has not changed and I have no burning or pain during urination.
I was then diagnosed with epididymitis and prescribed ciprofloxacin for 20 days but again my symptoms continued, however the pain in my testicles did slightly ease.
I decided at that point to see a urologist privately and he just examined my testicles and started me on a 6 week course of doxycycline for prostitis. He did not take any blood or urine samples and did not suggest any scans.
I had my full bloods checked with my own doctor 2 weeks ago and everything was normal including my PSA levels.
I have had tenderness in my testicles off & on for years but nothing like this and I also became infertile approximately 14 years ago and have a 16 year old daughter.
For approximately 1 year now I have been feeling generally unwell and quite fatigued most of the time.
I also have Esophageal Lesions which were diagnosed after a scope approx 2 years ago and after a few months of Lansoprazole & Esomeprazole 30mg the symptoms eventually settled.
Unfortunately since the beginning of the week my symptoms have flared up again, even worse than before, my diet has not changed so my doctor has changed my Doxycycline 100mg once a day to Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice a day.
I have been back on Esomeprazole 40mg since Tuesday but my GERD symptoms have not changed.
I still have pain in my testicles and lower abdomen and on top of that now have a badly inflamed Esophagus as well.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this and do you think I should get an ultrasound or possibly see another urologist?
I appreciate your feedback.
Best Regards,
Stephen Finlay
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Most of the recent symptoms like GERD symptoms and the feeling of being fatigued are due to the use of antibiotics and the chronic inflammation/infection going on. In this scenario, persistent infections that are also recurrent and pain, I would suggest that you visit an infectious disease specialist, have a culture and sensitivity test done from the semen and urine, and follow his/her advice on antibiotics - sometimes, injectables are better than oral antibiotics but they need to be targeted at the organism responsible, which the culture test will specify. In recurrent infections, the pathogens/bacteria are stubborn and do not respond to antibiotics like ciprofloxacin and doxycycline which are now too main stream and have conferred resistance due to over use and abuse over the years.For the pain, an ultrasound will be a good modality to really find out the cause. I suggest an ultrasound of the prostate, kidney, ureter and bladder (KUB) to begin with.Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to rate the answer by clicking on the stars at the top right corner of your screen.Best wishes.