DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I'm 56.4% muscle, 44% water and 39.9% fat. I am a woman who

I'm 56.4% muscle, 44% water and 39.9% fat. I am a woman who is 5 ft 4.5 in and 166 pounds. I don't want more muscle but in fact, less muscle and less fat. Please advise how I should approach this. I tend to walk up to 144 mins per day but usually 60 mins in a day. Thank you.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI don't know how you got these measurements.Your measurements at up to 134%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My weighing scale...
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't add up.Lean muscle mass is not just muscle, it is also bone, and everything that is not fat and water.The top end for females of skeletal muscle mass would be around 35%.So in your case, you want more water intake, and you want less fat.It is not muscle that is the problem, but the type of muscle.Resistance weight training builds lean, long, fat burning muscle, not bulk.That is what you want along with your walking.To reduce fat you want a nutrient dense, anti inflammatory diet. The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like thisleafy greensgreen veggiesother veggieswhole fruit, beans and peasWhole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refinedSeeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.A little tofu or tempeh dailyA little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurtThe soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have African American genes therefore my muscle mass is larger than in caucasians. This could explain the higher muscle mass. Additionally, my bone mass is 2.8kg. Additionally,diet changes why are cereals out of this program? I'm not really looking for a complete overhaul as I can't see myself sustaining it. I understand that this is your approach but how long have you been following it?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Dry cereals are refined foods.They raise insulin.Whole grains in their raw form, cooked, are OK.This diet can be followed life long, and is.The book I recommended will give you all the protocols. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be frank, I'm not entirely happy with your response. It's helpful however it's only one perspective and not what I was expecting. I did not elaborate on my food choices but let me give some insight. For example, I eat sprouted breads however from research, I understand that refined vs sprouted whole grains are digested in the same way in the body. Similarly, fat in the blood from raw nuts vs a burger are not processed any differently in the body. Soya is not good for our bodies either. Professional Dietetic colleagues have provided me with this information.
There are many views and opinions across the board about what to eat however nothing is 100% the right choice. I believe moderation is key however I am aware that my calorie intake has been high. I eat about 7-10 fruits and vegetables per day, I drink raw milk, I like sprouted breads (rye), I like greek style yogurt, I like fillet steaks, fresh fish, lamb, chicken,etc. My diet changes by the afternoon which I know requires more structure and less sugary snacks. I eat more good ingredients which are healthy/natural overall but have been consuming unrefined sugars while away from home. This is why I'm not seeking a food options change per say but from the sounds of things, I'm wondering how much exercise I will need in order to lose weight. I desire to weigh 128 pounds. Thank you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I'll address these questions, but to go into this further after that you will need to accept the premium sersvices offer.Any yeasted braead, and any wheat bread, whole wheat, sprouted, or other wise, due to the adulteration of wheat, raise insulin as much as, or more than sugar.Raw nut fat is processed VERY differently than fat from a burger. In addition, fat from raw nuts is pre biotic, anti cancer, and anti weight gain to a degree, whereas fast from a burger is the opposite in every case, as well as pro carcinogenic. It is also nutrient deficient, where as nuts are nutrient dense.The food choices effect the fat processing in the body, as well as many other factors, and heavy meat diets we know, lead to more disease, period.Exercise must be in combination. aerobic 3 to 7 times a week.Resistance weight training to build fat burning muscle, and, walking everywhere possible.Steady physical activity is important.High intensity training is newer and can help, but no exercise program like this should be done without being cleared by your doctor.Good luck.. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
ThanksAdditional informationI would also read the book, Wheat Belly.And, any other book by Dr. Fuhrman that peaks your interest. I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.