Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

There, I had a molar extracted 6 days ago. Yesterday I went

Hi there, I had a molar extracted 6 days ago. Yesterday I went back to my dentist as I have been in agony since the extraction. He diagnosed 'classic dry socket' he irrigated the cavity and inserted alvogyl. The pain was relieved for a while but it still really hurts, not as bad as before but it's bad, my breath smells, I'm taking ibuprofen to get through it. My question: is it normal to still have a lot of pain once the cavity is packed and if so, how long can I expect the pain to last for?
Nicole
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am sorry about your dry socket.best to try to keep the blood clot in the socket to minimize pain.it can last a few weeks to 1-2 monthsthe pain will get better.did he advise you to rinse with salt water regularly?make sure you take the ibuprofen with food in your stomach and with plenty of water.let me know if you have questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr Davidcan I ask, what causes the pain and why is it so painful? Can I do anything to speed up the healing process?thank youNicole
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the pain comes from nerves in your gums being exposed to air and being overly stimulated.they are used to being next to a tooth and being coveredmake sure you get plenty of sleep and eat more protein and vitamin C in your diet.manuka honey can help with healing.you do most of your healing at night timeavoid smoking and alcohol use.keep using the ibuprofen.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com